Addressing Mobile Security Now
ConRes recommends addressing the security concerns of your mobile devices as soon as possible. Attention to security while a technology is developing is the key to ensuring the technology grows into a reliable resource. ConRes recommends you:
- Address the security aspects of cell phones and smartphones used by employees and/or contractors.
- Ensure your mobile devices are configured, deployed, and managed to meet your security requirements.
- Employ the appropriate security management.
- Ensure an ongoing process of maintaining the security of your mobile devices throughout their lives.
9 Recommended Mobile Security Practices
ConRes recommends the following mobile security practices (at a minimum):
- Forcing encryption of data at rest on your mobile devices.
- Forcing secure connectivity on unsecured public networks.
- Confirming unauthorized mobile devices do not have access to your corporate LAN.
- Confirming mobile user spending aligns with the mobile policy.
- Authentication: Setting your device to auto-lock and limits for unauthorized login attempts.
- Having a clear policy on remote data deletion.
- Classifying data according to its sensitivity.
- Allowing only digitally signed applications.
- Being aware and able to adapt to the ever-changing mobile landscape.